2020 CVC Charity Application
Thank you for your interest in becoming a charity with the Commonwealth of Virginia Campaign (CVC). We offer state employees more than 1,000 charities to which to designate their gifts. This portal is used for charities to apply to the campaign each year. On April 1, 2020, the online application will open on the CVC web site https://cvc.smapply.us for charities to apply for the campaign. Applications are only accepted via the online application portal from April 1st through May 31st , 2020. Please do not mail forms to CVC. You must be a 501(c)(3) charity. Member charities should work with their federations to apply through the federation.
All charities that complete applications by May 31, 2020 will be notified by email of their acceptance into the campaign, or the reason for rejection by July 31, 2020. There are no exemptions or appeals. Most communications to charities and federations are via email and charities are encouraged to provide an email address on their CVC application that is monitored on a regular basis.
If you need assistance with the application process, please email the Commonwealth of Virginia Campaign Support office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Instructions & Eligibility
Section 1: Verify 501(c)(3) Status: The first step in your application will be to verify your charity's exempt status electronically using the application systems Guidestar Integration. Your charity must be registered on Guidestar.org to complete this step of the application.
Section 2: Background Information: This section is integrated with Guidestar allowing charities to easily pre-fill their application. The information requested is provided below:
- DBA: If the charity operates under a “Doing Business As” (DBA) name, enter it here. This name must be legally registered with documentation provided. Please note that the DBA name will be used in the 2020 Giving Guide and CVC website charity search. If there is no DBA name, leave this line blank, and the organization’s Legal Name will be used.
- New or Returning Charity: If your charity participated in the Commonwealth of Virginia Campaign within the past 5 years would indicate they are a returning charity and use the easy record lookup tool to search for their charity's name or CVC code.
- Contact Information: An administrative and a Development/Fundraising contact should be entered here. The fundraising contact person should be the individual most knowledgeable about the charity's mission and programs and may be requested to present at employee fundraising events.
- Website: The charity's website address.
- Year Founded: Year the charity was founded.
- Physical Address: The charity must enter their physical address without PO boxes. If the physical address is outside the state of Virginia the applying charity must explain how your charity will provide services to Virginia citizens and what percentage of the people your organization serves are Virginia citizens.
- Keywords Describing Your Organization's Work: Used in the searchable charity directory. Data is pulled from Guidestar into the application.
- Summary: A 25 word summary of your mission and services for CVC's printed directory. This may be the only information some donors review when selecting charities from the printed Giving Guide.
- Organization Mission Statement: A comprehensive extended statement of services that will clearly define your organization to your donors. Your mission statement will be displayed to potential donors in CVC's online directory. Data is pulled from Guidestar into the application.
- Category & Services: Select the category and services categories from the selection menu for your charity.
- Coverage Area: Select International, National, Statewide, or Local. Local charities will ask for additional information to indicate which regions their charity serves.
Section 3: Financial Review
The IRS Form 990 must be used to complete this section of the application to calculate the charity's Administrative Rate. The Administrative Rate is the total support and revenue ( that an organization allocates to fundraising and administrative expenses. Organizations that are not required to file IRS Form 990 with the IRS or that file some other form—such as the IRS Forms 990-EZ, 990-N, or 990-PF—must submit a pro forma IRS Form 990. The pro forma IRS Form 990 is not a separate form. Rather it is a partially completed IRS Form 990 that is used for CVC purposes only. The following items must be completed on the pro forma IRS Form 990:
- Page 1, Items A-M
- Part I, Summary, Lines 1-4 only
- Part II, Signature Block
- Part VII, Compensation –Section A only
- Part VIII, Statement of Revenues
- Part IX, Statement of Functional Expenses
- Part XII, Financial Statements and Reporting
Include the notation “For CVC Purposes Only” at the top of the first page. Please note that the CVC cannot accept other forms, such as IRS Forms 990-EZ, 990-N, 990-PF, or other comparable forms.
Section 4: Attachments
- Attachment A: IRS Form 990 - requirements are stated in Financial Review section above.
- Attachment B: Board of Directors Letter - This application must include a letter from the Board of Directors requesting inclusion in the 2020 Commonwealth of Virginia Campaign. The letter from the agency Board of Directors must:
- Be on organization letterhead with a printed date.
- State the request for inclusion in 2020 Commonwealth of Virginia Campaign.
- State whether your charity will participate independently or with a Federation. If with a Federation - clearly state the name of the Federation.
- Certify compliance with the Office of Charitable and Regulatory Programs (OCRP) registration requirements throughout participation in the 2020 Commonwealth of Virginia Campaign. For questions, contact the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services (VDACS) at 804.786.1343 or visit their web page (see Virginia Solicitation of Contributions Law for details). You may search here to see if your organization is registered.
- Address the letter to - Commonwealth of Virginia Campaign/DHRM, 101 N. 14th St., Richmond, VA 23219.
- Be signed by a voting member requesting inclusion in the campaign along with their printed name and role.
Please attach the letter in the online application - do not mail.
Attachment C (Optional): Impact Statement for Returning Charities - Describe how the 2019 campaign funds raised will impact your charity. This impact statement may be shared in the 2019 Secretariat Report, 2020 Charity Giving Guide, Online Directory, and other donor communications. Final results from the 2019 campaign are available on directory.cvcgives.org.
If you need assistance with the application process, please email the Commonwealth of Virginia Campaign Support office at email@example.com.